Join the national campaign and fulfil the prophetic teachings of honouring your neighbour!
The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: “Whoever believes in Allaah and the Last Day, let them be kind to their neighbour.” (Muslim)
One of the most beautiful teachings of Islam is the emphasis that is placed on fulfilling the rights of the neighbour. We are commanded to show kindness and consideration towards our neighbours. They should be shown respect and good treatment, regardless of their colour, gender, looks or religion. In fact, Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said, “Jibreel kept on recommending me to treat the neighbours kindly and politely, that I thought that Allah would order [me] to make them [my] heirs.“ [Bukhari]. This is a prophetic teaching that can create a huge impact on our communities!
This teaching of wanting good and safety for our neighbours can even be considered to be a part of our faith, as the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said, “By Allah, he does not believe! By Allah, he does not believe! By Allah, he does not believe!” It was said, “Who is that, O Messenger of Allah?” He said, “That person whose neighbour does not feel safe from his evil.” [Bukhari]
Honour Your Neighbours
After considering all these statements that highlight the importance of honouring our neighbours (including our non-Muslim neighbours!), one of the best ways in which we can do this is to follow another prophetic teaching, which is by giving food or gifts to our neighbour.
The Prophet (peace be upon him) said to his companion, “O Abu Dharr, when you prepare broth, add water to that and give a portion of it (as a present) to your neighbour.” [Muslim]
When ‘Abdullaah ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) slaughtered a sheep, he said, “When you skin it, begin [distributing it] by going to our Jewish neighbour.” (Abu Dawud)
Also, our beloved Prophet (peace be upon him) further showed the severity of this matter, when he said, “He who spends the night satisfied [with food] while knowing that his next door neighbour is hungry does not truly believe in me.” (Bukhari)
Love Your Neighbour Campaign
The Islamic Education and Research Academy (iERA) One Community department has therefore used this prophetic teaching to launch our newest campaign entitled, Love Thy Neighbour! This campaign is designed to empower and motivate all Muslims in their localities to show respect and kindness towards their neighbour!
Imagine if every single Muslim were to fulfil this one teaching – just to show kindness to our neighbour through food or gifts. How powerful would that be in shaping a positive outlook on our communities?
It’s time to act!
1: GET READY
- Download the toolkit for this campaign.
- Prepare some food (or a gift) to give to your neighbour (note: be conscious of allergies and also if they are vegetarian/vegan etc. It may be useful to provide them with a list of ingredients that you have used in your food)
- Write a short message on the back of your “Gift from your neighbour” booklet (you could explain why you have done this goodwill gesture). You can order your booklets here: iERA Shop
- Take a picture of the food for social media (this is so we can promote and encourage others to also get involved).
2: TAKE ACTION
- Knock on your neighbours’ door and give them the food/gift.
- Explain the reason behind this gesture (i.e. the Islamic teachings towards the neighbour)
3: FOLLOW UP
- Ask your neighbour if it would be OK to take a picture with them holding the food so that you can encourage others to also get involved in this national campaign!
- Upload videos and pictures on to the One Community Facebook/Twitter accounts using hashtags #LoveYourNeighbour #MuslimKindness