iERA is a transparent and ethical registered British charity which works with all faith groups and none and we take our obligation to clarify any such allegations seriously. We are open to any form of communication and are willing to engage in discussions with any such concerned parties.
Please see a detailed response to some of the claims. The first section is a summary and a detailed response. Any unfair misrepresentations and slander will be responded to with robust legal action.
For any questions or queries please contact email@example.com.
- iERA did not enforce gender segregation at the UCL event as proven by the timelapse of the video.
- The National Assembly of Quebec‘s condemnation came in 2011. The concerns raised by the Government have been addressed by the organization. Subsequently, our organization has taken tremendous efforts to eliminate any intolerance or extremism from the organization.
- Hamza Tzortzis’s stance on homosexuality and apostatsy has been misrepresented. Hamza does not advocate any discrimination or hatred towards the LGBTQ+ community and he believes apostates must be treated with compassion.
- The organization has created an Anti-extremism policy (see attached) which explicitly prohibits any discrimination by any members of the organization, and reviews of all content produced by members of the organization are conducted.
- Hamza was once a trustee for the UK based charity Green Crescent. The founder of the charity was a victim of a politically motivated set up, he was tortured for months without being charged, and was subsequently hospitalised due to ill health. All charges have been dropped by the Bangladeshi authorities and the UK government played a central role in his release.
- Hamza has been misquoted and misrepresented concerning freedom of speech and western values. He advocates freedom of speech and has written and taught on the compatibility of Islam and British values.
- The NIA charge sheet has well known speakers such as Shaykh Hamza Yusuf, who is known for his work on tolerance, compassion and peace. The Indian National Investigation Agency explicitly stated that there was nothing to pursue concerning the scholars and speakers on the chargesheet. In fact an India based media outlet reported on this and interview Hamza on his views. Hamza calls ISIS sick and deranged. Hamza has written against ISIS.
- Since the launch of IERA in 2009 the iERA underwent rapid and significant growth as the impact of our work was received positively by both Muslims and non-Muslims alike. Since the beginning of the investigation in 2013 (which was completed 3 years ago), iERA has become one of the most robust organisations when it comes to best practice and compliance with charity law and good governance. iERA have trained other charities on risk management, dignity and work, and anti-extremism. iERA is an external audited charity. This means that its risks, financial management, accounts, operations and fundraising are scrutinised every year.
Notes to editors:
The Islamic Education and Research Academy (iERA) is a UK-based charity dedicated to providing a better understanding of Islam in order to create a more peaceful and harmonious society.
For further media enquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org